Sunday, September 7, 2014

Labor Day Weekend: Fair and Missouri

I am still glowing about how awesome this weekend was. Friday night we didn't have any plans set in place. On the spur of the moment we decided we needed a family night and decided to go to Braums for dinner. We usually do not drive on Airport road. It is a windy road and I get motion sick, especially when I was pregnant. Thankfully that night he made an exception and drove past the airport. We drove by exactly as the OSU football team were taking off on their way to Dallas to play their first game of the season against Florida State. We were pretty excited to stop and watch the plane take off. After we ate Braums we decided to go up to the Payne County fair just to look around. I'm sure thankful we did. We were able to see that our Lily won 3rd place in the K-1st Grade coloring contest. I'm so proud of her. Lily is getting to be quite the artist...drawing and coloring. She puts so many details into her work and makes it beautiful.  




Saturday we were invited to a pool party at the Burkhart's house. The kids had so much fun swimming, playing in the sand and eating. That night we watched the football game on TV. 
Sunday morning Matt suggested that since he had work and school off for Labor day we should do a quick trip to Springfield, MO. I haven't even been out of Oklahoma since April 2013 and I didn't realize how much I needed a little vacation. We decided that after church we would come home, pack real quick and head out for the night. I'm so glad we did. Matt and I gathered all the stuff and didn't even tell the kids what we were doing until they saw us loading the van. They were beyond excited and so good for us on the 3.5 or 4 hour drive. 

Matt had been to Springfield last year and this is the hotel he stayed at. He loves me. I'm so thankful we stayed in a super fun hotel. It was perfect for the kids. Do you see that elevator? Going up and down that to the 6th floor was so exciting for the kids. 

This might be one of my most favorite pictures ever. Yum! I could just eat this boy, he's so good. He was a little angel on this trip. Even when we tortured him by making him swim in the freezing pool. 
I am in love with our family.  My heart is so thankful for these little people. 

The sun was just about down when we arrived but we had time to do some swimming. 




Max and I sat on the side lines and watched Monday morning. He was a trooper swimming on Sunday night...I didn't want to make him do it again. We loved watching. Part of the pool was outside. They just had to swim under the glass window. Monday morning it was a little rainy which made it even more fun. 




Once we had breakfast, swam and bathed we checked out of the hotel and made our way to Bass Pro. 


Matt and I have always loved going to Cabelas and we liked the Bass Pro shop in OKC. Matt had been here before and told me how awesome it is. I was pretty much expecting it to be similar to Cabelas, which is awesome. However, this was far better than my expectations. We saw live alligators, turtle, gigantic fish and more. There was so much to see and we had a great time exploring.








The kids got ice cream and Matt and I got fudge. Yum! 




Next stop was fishing. We went to a fish farm outside of Springfield. The kids loved it. They caught their fish quickly and were proud. Lily said she felt a little sad for the fish. 




The guy clean the fish and bagged them up for us and we were on our merry way back to Stillwater. What a lovely trip! One thing I loved was the 7 hours of driving where I had Matt all to myself. He let me talk his ear off. There wasn't any homework, smart phones or T.V. shows in my way of getting his attention. Thanks for the awesome trip Matt. 

2 comments:

Grandma said...

I'm glad you got away. I'm sure you needed that Shelley. The kids had a blast. I'm so glad that you are making memories with the kids and it's just not all work and school.
Thanks for the pictures, you know how much I love to see them and hear what you have been doing.
Thanks for being a great family.
Love you

Katie said...

That sounds like a dream! Now I need to figure out some fun places that are only 3 hours from me... hm..