Sunday, July 29, 2012

Accordion!


If you know me very well, you would know that I am an expert accordion player...haha. Just kidding. That is a joke! However, my mom has an accordion and I grew up playing with it and learning the very basics. I mean VERY basics. When I was in 9th grade I did a country report on Russia. Somehow I managed to memorize three or four songs and preformed them to my history class as part of my Russia presentation (I incorporated the musical "Fiddler on the Roof" also). Then, my other teachers got wind of my unique ability and I ended up preforming my songs for four different classes that day. One class was my keyboarding class and I told the teacher if he gave me extra credit I would play it for the class. He agreed and that is how I got an A in keyboarding (true story). 

I had always told Matt that I could play the accordion a little bit and he finally witnessed it last Christmas while we were at my parent's house. He was really impressed. Let me tell you the story of this accordion that I am holding in the picture. Two Fridays ago, I had a meeting with my bishop (Matt and the kids came because we were at a wedding reception). In that meeting I was told that I was getting released from my calling as R.S. Secretary. The Bishop told me that I didn't have a calling yet but that if I could play the piano, he would know right were to put me. Matt said, "Well she does know how to play the accordion." Bishop said "Really? Well, I have one right here," and he pulls out this accordion!! Really? He shows it to us and asked me if I wanted it. I didn't hesitate. Of course I wanted it! I'm sure you are wondering why would he have an accordion in his office at church? Our Bishop owns a big pawn shop in Stillwater. Last year the youth did a program and they needed an accordion for a prop and it has been sitting in his office since then. Thank you Matt for speaking up about my underdeveloped childhood talent! Now I am so thrilled to start learning how to play better so I can showoff my accordion playing skills. My mom just told me that my great grandmother would be proud. She knew how to play it and that is why my mom grew up taking lessons. My family is going to be so sick of accordion music...I can't wait!

P.S. I did get a new calling last week. I'm now the 1st Counselor in the Primary. I've never had a primary calling but I already love it. :) 

2 comments:

Katie said...

Yay for Primary!! And yay for the accordian...???? That is so awesome Shelley, I expect videos of your mad skills soon!!

Rachel said...

Adorable picture Shelley! What a sweet skill to have! You can always whip that up as a conversation starter at parties and such. "I"m from Idaho, I've got 2 kids, and Oh yeah, I play the accordion!" You'll totally be the most popular one. :)