Saturday, July 30, 2011

Oklahoma City Science Museum & Update

Today we ventured to Oklahoma City the first time as a family. We had heard about this really great Science Museum and we loved it.
This little girl was in heaven. There was so much for her to do and see.
Matt and I took turns giving Levi shoulder rides. He (Levi) didn't complain at all.
Fish
In this little glass room the wind blew up to 70mph.
Mirror tunnel. It was a little trippy.

The huge mouth. This is the part Lily is still talking about. She got to sit on one of the molars with Levi.
On the molar.


Such a fun play zone. Next time we'll spend more time in that section.
Flying a plane.
My turn with Levi.
There was a gymnastics area and both kids LOVED it. I couldn't believe how excited Levi was.

Click on this picture and get a better look at that face. I LOVE it!
Space ship seat.
Rock climbing

Helicopter.

What a fun day. I'm glad we were able to do something fun today.

Weekly update:

Matt finished the semester this week. He is really happy to be done with Calculus. He thinks he did really well on his last test but we won't find out for a few days. Now he gets to work on his research all of August and then classes will start August 22nd.

Nothing too significant has happened with me and the kids. I just finished doing a biggest loser competition with some friends on Facebook. It was an eight week competition and I ended up losing 15.6 pounds. I got 4th place out of 20 girls. Since April 18th the total is 26.8 pounds (give or take). It has been so much fun making healthy food and the kids love it too. When I go to the grocery store with the kids Lily asks for watermelon and grapes and really healthy food. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right. On our trip today we had maybe a few too many snacks that would be classified as unhealthy. Matt and I were both feeling pretty blah. It's amazing how what you eat makes you feel the way you do. You feel so much better when you put good food into your body. Matt told me tonight that he really likes my healthy cooking. Why is food so expensive? It's no secret that grad students aren't rich and we spend more than our fair share on food. I try to be frugal and we never let produce go to waste but I cannot seem to stay within our food budget.

Eating out has been one of our most favorite things to do in the past but we don't do it anymore. It has been such a positive change for our health and it's fun to think of the money we are saving too. We do go to ice cream a few times a month...we gotta live right?

I am done nursing Levi. I hope this isn't over share for a blog. I have to say weaning Levi has been SO much harder than I remember it being for Lily. It has been pretty emotional for me. He grew up way too fast and I have to deal with the fact that he's not a baby anymore (even though he really is still a baby). He does really well during the day with his sippy cups of whole milk but night time he really wants to nurse. He won't take his cup. He's not quiet walking on his own yet. He will walk from Matt to me and he'll even walk from me to Lily. He's just a really good crawler and only walks when he has too...at the pool for example. He is getting a lot more confident at the pool. But he can't crawl in the water so he drags me around everywhere so he can walk.

Lily is getting to be a little character. She cracks little jokes. The other day her and I were talking about our full names. I was asking her her full name. She knows it but I don't think I had phrased it that way for her yet. I told her Levi's full name is Levi Matt Mitchell and her full name is Lily Marian Mitchell. I asked her what Dad's name is and what my name is...(she said my name was Rachel). Anyway during this conversation she would throw in "ah..Mr. Potato Head..bah." (I think you need to hear the sound of her voice when she says it). We both were cracking up. She would just throw it in at the funniest times. So random that it was hysterical. She also has started saying "yes sir" to Matt. I have no idea where she learned that. Lily is such a sweetheart, helper, preschool lover, active, beautiful girl and I love her more than anything.

It is hot but I'm okay with it. We love going to the pool and we stay inside all the time. No big deal. I can't believe we've been here more than 8 weeks. Time is already going so fast.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I cannot get over how stinkin' cute your kids are, they are just so smiley and adorable!! That place looks so fun too, I can't wait to see it when we visit y'all ; )

Orin, Minette and Sadie Packard said...

Looks like the Museum was tons of fun, I will have to remember it if Orin does his internship there! I loved Lily's hat too! She is getting so big and so is Levi! I think you need to share some of your healthy recipes with me, I am just not very good at cooking healthy all the time! OH, and it feels like a lot longer than 8 weeks that you have been gone...so much has happened! Miss you guys!

Rachel said...

so many comments...First off, I'm flattered that she called you Rachel, even if she wasn't referring to me. Let's just say she was. We miss you guys a lot here. Secondly, holy cow shelly!! Losing over 20 pounds when you looked great to begin with! WOW! Way to go!!! I'm SO excited for you!! Now just teach me how you did it. If you ever do a facebook Biggest loser thing again, count me in! Thirdly, the grocery budget drives me nuts! I feel like you took the words right out of my mouth. So, I know how you feel about always seeming to spend more than you want, but feeling like you're trying your very best. Very frustrating. But eating healthy is so worth it!

Becca said...

I love your family updates! Such fun pictures!!

Lindsay said...

OH Shelley I just love reading your blog. For some reason I just started really really missing you as I just read this post. You are just so awesome and I love your beautiful family. What lousy timing that we left Texas right as you guys went to Oklahoma! I would love to get together again someday. Maybe we could plan a roommates reunion or something like that. Congratulations on your weight loss! I seriously can't believe it that is so awesome. I admire your healthy eating and self control. Lately I've been struggling with that. I've never been so big at the very beginning of a pregnancy and it's making me way depressed. I need to make better food choices too. ANyway this is getting really long I just wish we could hang out! I'm sure our kids would be friends :) Love you!