Last Saturday we had our Relief Society birthday enrichment. It turned out really good and was so much fun.
Everyone got this invitation the week before. Emily made them and they were so cute! Our theme was "Up close and 'Purse'onal." Everyone brought their purse. As they were arriving we had them weigh their purse. The heaviest and lightest got a prize. We also played a game to see who could find random objects from their purse or diaper bag the fastest.
This was the cute center piece that Becca made.

I got to take one home and Lily loved it. She played with it so much
We also made purses out of place mats. It was so simple and easy and they turned out so cute. It was a really fun morning and I'm glad it turned out well. I wish I would have gotten a picture of my purse. Maybe if I'm ambitious enough I will put it on here later. I also wish I would have gotten a picture of the yummy food. It was amazing!
I got to take one home and Lily loved it. She played with it so much
Here is what I said...
I love purses. I have had several purses. I wish I had them to show you…but in high school I had a larger variety of purses than I have now. My favorite one was pink and green and I would use in the summer. I had ones that were neutral colors for the fall and winter. Now I carry around this purse, if you can call this a purse (I showed my diaper bag) I need something that is more practical for all the things I have to carry with me.
I have a lot of purses here. They are all different shapes, sizes, they are all unique. They all have a different story behind them. This one has never left Idaho; this one has been to China and back. Some are old, some are new. But they are all purses. They all have a common purpose. We are all sisters and daughters of our Heavenly Father. One thing all of these purses have in common is that they all have compartments. In my purse I have a compartment for my keys, wallet, phone, Chapstick and anything else I might need. We all have different components that make up our lives. We each have such different compartments in our lives. Some of us are students, some are working full time, some of us are moms and much more. But many of our compartments are the same. We are all member so the church and have our "spiritual compartment." We are all married and have our "Family compartment." We all have a body and have our "physical self compartment."
I have a lot of purses here. They are all different shapes, sizes, they are all unique. They all have a different story behind them. This one has never left Idaho; this one has been to China and back. Some are old, some are new. But they are all purses. They all have a common purpose. We are all sisters and daughters of our Heavenly Father. One thing all of these purses have in common is that they all have compartments. In my purse I have a compartment for my keys, wallet, phone, Chapstick and anything else I might need. We all have different components that make up our lives. We each have such different compartments in our lives. Some of us are students, some are working full time, some of us are moms and much more. But many of our compartments are the same. We are all member so the church and have our "spiritual compartment." We are all married and have our "Family compartment." We all have a body and have our "physical self compartment."
First we have the "Spiritual compartment":
Sister Julie B. Beck gave a really great talk in October 2007 called "What Latter-day Saint Women Do Best: Stand Strong and Immovable"
She said, "… Latter-day Saint women must be strong and immovable in their faith. They can and should excel in living and sharing their testimonies of the Lord Jesus Christ and His restored gospel. We do this as we:
Sister Julie B. Beck gave a really great talk in October 2007 called "What Latter-day Saint Women Do Best: Stand Strong and Immovable"
She said, "… Latter-day Saint women must be strong and immovable in their faith. They can and should excel in living and sharing their testimonies of the Lord Jesus Christ and His restored gospel. We do this as we:
Make and keep covenants with Him.
Are worthy and worship in His temples.
Study His doctrine in the scriptures and the words of prophets.
Qualify for, recognize, and follow the Holy Ghost.
Share and defend His gospel.
Participate in sincere personal and family prayer.
Have family home evening.
Live principles of self-reliance and provident living.
She says "These are essential things which must be done before nonessential things. These are simple, indispensable practices that almost seem mundane when we talk about them. However, they are marks of discipleship which have always been foundational for Relief Society sisters. No one can do these things for us—these are personal practices and habits that set us apart as strong and immovable for that which is correct." (http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-775-40,00.html).
I like how she said these are personal practice. It really puts the responsibility on us. It's not our husband's fault if we don't read our scriptures or say our personal prayers.
We are so blessed to be members of this church and I know that if we do these things, our all other aspects of our lives will be blessed.
We are so blessed to be members of this church and I know that if we do these things, our all other aspects of our lives will be blessed.
Second we have our "family compartment"
Sister Beck also talks about family being something that Latter-day Saint women do best. She said, "Latter-day Saint women must be strong and immovable in family. They can and should do families better than anyone else. We, as disciples of Christ, can and should be the very best in the world at upholding, nourishing, and protecting families. We do this as we:
Understand and defend the divine roles of women.
Embrace the blessings of the priesthood.
Form eternal families.
Maintain strong marriages.
Bear and rear children.
Express love for and nurture family members.
Accept responsibility to prepare a righteous rising generation.
Know, live, and defend the doctrine of the family.
Search out and perform temple ordinances for extended family members.
She goes on to talk about how we, as women and members of the church have the responsibility to protect the family. She also talks about how we need to defend the divine roles of women. The world's view of family and the role of women is certainly not the same as our Heavenly Father's view. I am thankful that we know and understand the sacredness and eternal purpose of the family. This talk is amazing and I would encourage you to look back and read it.
We are so blessed to have a family. We are all recently married and have a long journey ahead of us with our new families. As sisters, wives, and mothers we have such an important work to be doing. We have the divine responsibility to raise our families the best we can in righteousness. It's nice to have a husband to work with side by side in this great work. We need our husbands and they certainly need us too.
Sister Beck also talks about family being something that Latter-day Saint women do best. She said, "Latter-day Saint women must be strong and immovable in family. They can and should do families better than anyone else. We, as disciples of Christ, can and should be the very best in the world at upholding, nourishing, and protecting families. We do this as we:
Understand and defend the divine roles of women.
Embrace the blessings of the priesthood.
Form eternal families.
Maintain strong marriages.
Bear and rear children.
Express love for and nurture family members.
Accept responsibility to prepare a righteous rising generation.
Know, live, and defend the doctrine of the family.
Search out and perform temple ordinances for extended family members.
She goes on to talk about how we, as women and members of the church have the responsibility to protect the family. She also talks about how we need to defend the divine roles of women. The world's view of family and the role of women is certainly not the same as our Heavenly Father's view. I am thankful that we know and understand the sacredness and eternal purpose of the family. This talk is amazing and I would encourage you to look back and read it.
We are so blessed to have a family. We are all recently married and have a long journey ahead of us with our new families. As sisters, wives, and mothers we have such an important work to be doing. We have the divine responsibility to raise our families the best we can in righteousness. It's nice to have a husband to work with side by side in this great work. We need our husbands and they certainly need us too.
Thirdly, we have our "physical self compartment"
I am thankful for the word of wisdom. Our lives are so much happier when we stay away from things that are harmful to our bodies. We are so lucky to have a body and it's important for us to treat it right, to eat healthfully, exercise and dress modestly. As sister…we are so focused on serving each other, our families, and sometimes we put ourselves last. It is not a selfish thing to put ourselves first physically and spiritually. If we take care of ourselves first it will help us to serve others better.
I am thankful for the word of wisdom. Our lives are so much happier when we stay away from things that are harmful to our bodies. We are so lucky to have a body and it's important for us to treat it right, to eat healthfully, exercise and dress modestly. As sister…we are so focused on serving each other, our families, and sometimes we put ourselves last. It is not a selfish thing to put ourselves first physically and spiritually. If we take care of ourselves first it will help us to serve others better.
On rear occasion when I don't have Lily with me, I use this purse. I just cleaned it out this morning before I came here. I was going to leave it messy to show you but I was too embarrassed. It was a mess. There was old receipts, coupons, pens, candy wrappers, other trash. Nothing was where it was suppose to go. I couldn't help but relate it to my talk. I was thinking how are the compartments in my life? I have some major work to do. We all do…and this is what this life is for…to strive to be better, change, repent and be our best selves.
2 comments:
Yes put the talk up. You worked hard on it and I know that you did a wonderful job. Share what you know. We will love it!
That was such a fun day. And your talk was great! =]
Post a Comment