Sunday, November 27, 2011

Deck the Halls

Remember how I said we didn't bring our Christmas stuff with us?? I was a little sad that Lily wouldn't have a tree at our house. So I was checking the Walmart ads to see if I could find a cheap tree. Friday morning I gave myself a $20 budget and was about to head to Walmart when I got a phone call from one of the nicest girls I know. Kristen told me that she had read my blog and knew that we didn't have a Christmas tree and offered us hers. She and her husband are going out of town for Christmas and she said she wasn't going to bother setting it up this year. That was so kind of her. She knew that our kids would really love it. Thank you so much Kristen! You don't even know how excited this made us!

Lily and I spent some of Friday and Saturday making these ornaments. We made all these ornaments for less than $5. All I had to buy were paper clips, water balloons and cookie cutters. I had everything else on hand.

Yep. I made the bow.

I was going to paint all the ornaments brown but Lily insisted on the stars being yellow. I'm so glad she did. I think it looks great with the yellow...that's why I made the yellow bow.
I had this yarn because I accidentally bought the wrong colors for my afghan. I couldn't take it back because Levi got into it and ripped the wrapper apart. We just put the yarn in modge podge and wrapped them around water balloons and let them dry over night.

The cookie ornaments was just 4 cups flour, 1 cup salt and 1.5 cups warm water. Then you bake them for 2 hours on 200. This was the BEST activity I've done with Lily in a LONG time. She helped me with the cookie cutter part Friday night. Then Saturday morning we painted them. She painted the front of every single ornament. One by one she handed them off to me and I painted the sides and back. I can't believe what a great activity this was for her. The paint was my acrylic craft paint and I explained to her that we couldn't be messy with it. She understood and listened so well. I had more paint on my hand than she did. I was so proud.

Here are the kid's stockings. I still have to make mine and Matt's. This is all fabric that my mom gave to me last year...I never thought I would use the Christmas fabric but it has come in handy. The stockings cost me $0 to make. :)

4 comments:

Grandma Mitchell said...

I love the ornaments, bow and tree. Lily will remember this for a long time. When you do stuff like this it means so much more than buying everything. Thanks Shelley for doing such fun things with our Grandkids.
Love, ya

Rachel said...

Love doing stuff for free!!! Those ball ornaments are cool and I've been seeing stuff like that pop up here and there and wanted to try it. Maybe I'll get around to it this season!

Kristen said...

Shelley the tree turned out amazing. Way better than it would have with my store bought ornaments. I am so glad that you put it to great use. Lily will have wonderful memories.

Linda said...

Cute stockings!! You did a great job!!