Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Don't Buy Stuff

I wanted to put THIS hulu video clip in my blog. Obviously I don't know how. Go watch it real quick and then read the rest of the post.

Cute huh? I think of this clip often...mostly when I want to spend a lot of money. Haha. I sometimes have the thought "Matt will be making lots of money someday...so if I spend more money than we have now we can just pay it back then...that's what student loans are for right?" Haha. We left a ton of our stuff in Idaho so we could move here cheaper. I'm so thankful we did anyway because we hardly have the room for what we brought with us. So I didn't bring hardly any of my decor. I'm really missing it right about now...especially my fall decorations. I have the itch to decorate my home and buy all new things. My point is this; there are so many things that I want but can live without. I'm sure I'll be happier in the long run if I'm not overspending. Money, money, money...

One more thing on my mind...when I was in high school, I remember watching an Oprah episode about mothers. There was an argument between working mothers and stay at home mothers. Don't ask me why I remember this. Working mothers were saying that stay at home mothers have it so easy because they just get to be home all day and so on. Anyway Oprah said something like "Why do women criticize each other so harshly when we are all just doing the best we can?" Being a parent is tough stuff! Why do we judge other's best efforts so harshly? I think of that Oprah episode often. I find myself sometimes looking at other people's flaws and before I know it I'm judging a little harshly. Don't tell anyone...I'm really a very nice person. Love your neighbor right? October 2010 Dieter F. Uchdorf's talk Of Things that Matter Most He says, "Taking time for each other is the key for harmony at home. We talk with, rather than about, each other. We learn from each other, and we appreciate our differences as well as our commonalities." He's talking about the family relationship but I'm pretty sure that quote could apply to women as well. Just a thought for me to remember tonight. Obviously I need THIS talk too. It's from the General Relief Society Broadcast last year Charity Never Faileth. I'm getting excited for the R.S. Broadcast Saturday. Love your neighbor :)

5 comments:

Katie said...

We need to chat more Shelley, I agree with the money thing. It's been so annoying to have all this wall space and feel like I have to fill it up with junk that I know I don't need. I can't wait to have a smaller house and not feel the need to spend money to fill up the space. If we could do it all over again we would be more realistic about the amount of home we bought, so we could save more and not waste space, etc. I will say, I loved your Fall decorations though, you really know how to make a house a home! And I don't think that's a bad thing : )

And I know what you mean by finding yourself judging too harshly, that happens to me way too often. I try to justify it and say i'm just blowing off steam, but it doesn't matter because no matter what it doesn't make me feel better if I blow off the steam or not! I feel much better if I pray to forgive others beforehand, when I know I might be offended by a certain person (or two or three...). I am a horrible gossiper, just one trait of many that I need to work and and hope the Lord can help me turn into a strength (eventually, I think it'll take me a while : ).

Grandma Mitchell said...

Thanks Shelley, I needed this blog. I sometimes judge people before I really know all the fact. I'm sure you know who I'm talking about. You are definately right about loving our neighbors and friends. I really appreciate your words on this subject. I'll try and do better.
Love ya

The Currs said...

Shelley - I love your blog. And I really needed this post :) Thanks for the great post and always inspiring me!!

Lindsay said...

Shelley-
Kenny and I were laughing so hard at that clip. Hang in there--your time there will be over before you know it and you'll have money to buy lots and lots of cute decorations :). I loved that part about Oprah and women judging each other. I had the same thoughts the other day on a walk. We always categorize each other because of the diff. things we can choose: breast milk or bottle? organic food or not? public school/private/homeschool? the list goes on. We're all just trying to raise our kids the best way we know how. And I just wanted to warn you that if you ever take your children into an urgent or instacare, they will ALWAYS, pretty much 100% of the time diagnose them with at least one, but usually 2 ear infections. I hate to tell you this but they really don't knwo what they're talkign about. We've learned the hard way. They will always put them on an antibiotic, but they might not need it. If there's any way you could see a real pediatrician, I would do that and avoid the urgent cares at all cost unless you know for sure what's going on with your child and just need it treated. I've had several pediatricians talk to me about this. I hope that nasty bug has left your home. Being sick is no fun! Okay this is long--see ya!!

Shelley said...

Are they not doctors? Are only bad doctors allowed at urgent care places? We for sure take them to the pediatrician. The times we've gone to urgent care it has been a Sunday or later at night. I thought it was a better option than the ER. We are doing much better now :)